What is Re-linking
Re-linking is the process of changing how a priced item in your estimate is connected to you price catalogues and hence what price it shows at in your estimate. Relinking will work for both recipes and regular price items.
Why do you need to relink?
Price catalogues change a lot, and hence Buildxact users change the prices they store, delete catalogues, create new catalogues and all this means we need a way to link the right catalogue items to the right estimate costing items.
Is this the same as requoting?
If you've been with Buildxact long enough to remember re-quoting then yes it is similar in ways. Requoting focused solely on pulling a new price through to the estimate items if the price in the catalogue changed. Re-linking also does this but additionally handles re-linking estimate items with catalogue items (or recipes items) from other catalogues.
How do I use it?
1. In your estimate costings screen, when you have items that are linked to a catalogue that has either expired, been deleted or the price has changed, you will see an alert.
2. Click on the blue catalogue box next to it to see more info, if you're only fixing a single item you can use use "Replace Item" or "Apply" to solve the problem, depending on what it is.
3. To bulk update re-link items head to the cog at the top of estimate costings
4. Then select “Update Linked Items”
5. This will launch the new functionality. You will now see three columns
Column 1 shows you which catalogues are being used in your estimate. We will use these catalogues to search for matching items
NOTE: the order of the catalogues is important. The one you want us to check first should be at the top, this is relevant when substituting items from other price catalogues.
Column 2 shows you the list of items with those little alerts from your costings that need to be updated
Column 3 will show you which items we have found in another catalogue that match your items in the estimate
6. To find items in a different catalogue, use the search to find the catalogue you want to use and select it.
7. This will search that catalogue for any items that match those from your estimate, and show you the matches we found.
8. You can then update the items to be linked to the new catalogue by clicking “Update New Links”. This will go through your estimate and update all of the cost items with those from the new catalogue.
See also the video in this article